Sunday, May 19, 2013

Joomla, part 2

Working with Joomla has been a very interesting experience. While I share many of your frustrations with the CMS, I have to say once the site is set-up and I understood how the administration side works, I began to like it. There are many useful plug-ins, modules, and templates that can make a good site, great.

One of the features I like about this system is the media manager. At first I was frustrated with this feature because I didn't understand how it worked, but once I watched the tutorial, it made sense to upload the media you wanted to use in one location. That way you didn't have to hunt it down later.

However, I wish that this system would include a module map for every template, similar to WordPress, so you can have a "map" of the site. It makes it easier to see what goes where and helps the developer keep a clear picture of how the site needs to be organized.

Overall, this was a good learning experience, not that I'm anxious to do it again, but I would be willing to work with Joomla in the future.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Justin,

    I did not have the opportunity to work with many of the plug-ins or with different templates. I'm sure they make the final product of Joomla a much more exciting interface and an easier experience while editing. What was a plug-in or template that you found particularly useful?

    -Justin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was able to use a WYSIWYG editor plug-in that provided more options and flexibility when adding content to a page. I think it was called JSC editor. I was successful in uploading a template from the web, but I didn't like it once it was up on the site. Most of the templates that can be used on a Joomla site are proprietary, or so it seems and many of the are very sophisticated. I think that Joomla can be very useful if you have time and money to invest.

      Delete